Saturday, February 11, 2012

Snow Flakes that Stay on Your Nose and Eye Lashes

Name that tune?  I'm sure most of you can but for those that are struggling it is 'My Favorite Things' from the Sound of Music.  Don't worry, I'm not giving up my day job.  Dara thought that some of you (especially those that don't live on the ship with us) may be interested to know what each of our favorite place on board is and why.  The reality is that most good ideas I have come from her.  The bad ones are all mine.

Anyway, here are the answers:

Xavier - my favorite place is deck 7 because I like to ride my grey toy motorcyle, swing, and run because I'm not allowed to run inside the ship.  Editors Note: for those that are unaware he is referring to a section of deck 7 that is a 'weather deck'.  It's sort of a big balcony.

Malachi - my favorite place is my cabin.  I like it because sometimes we get to watch a movie for family movie night and sometimes Dad lets us watch soccer.  I also like it because it is where I sleep.  In my cabin there is a living room with a table, couch, freezer, TV, microwave that tells time, and refrigerator.  There is also a telephone diagonally across from the TV.  My room is closest to the door out of the cabin.  My room has two beds close together with a curtain in the middle.  I share my room with my sister, Grace.  It also has a cabinets and shelves.  My brothers' room is accross from mine.  In their room there are bunk beds and cupboards.  On the other side of the living room is mom and dad's room with one big bed and cupboards.  The end.

Elijah - my favorite place on the ship isn't on the ship.  My favorite place is the dock.  It is my favorite because there's a spot at the end where there are some hospital mattresses stacked up under some tarps that I get to play in.  It is also one of the few places that you can run.  On Thursdays after dinner we do Running Club.  That's where we run laps back and forth on the dock to see how many we can do.  We keep track of them and see if we can do enough to finish a marathon before we leave the port.  There are also lots of rats, lizards, birds, and bats. 

Grace - my favorite place is the Youth Room.  I like it because it is a place where teenagers can have fun after school or do their homework.  Also, you have to be in Junior High or High School to go there so my brothers can't come in but Eli will be able to next year.  The Youth Room has two couches and a TV.  It also has two computers that we can use.  There is also a game cupboard.  The room isn't very big but it's nice to have our own space.

Peter - there are a number of places that I really like but one of my favorites is my fire locker.  I guess I just spent enough time in a fire house that it feels comfortable and safe, if that makes any sense.  I go there occassionally with Xavier, who also loves it, and we have fun hanging out.  I also go by myself once in a while if I just need somewhere to think or pray for a couple of minutes.  It isn't a terribly big space (probably about 10' x 20') with a green painted steel floor.  There are 8 sets of bunker gear and SCBAs with some open space in the middle.  There is also a bit of a foyer that has spare SCBA bottles, axes, extra hose (apartment bundles), and some other equipment.  I'm holding out hope that we'll get some diamond plating and bricks one of these years (not very likely) and a fire engine would be nice, too, although driving it around narrow ship corridors and parking it in a 10x20 space could prove problematic.

Dara - my favorite place is the bow.  It is my favorite because it is only open for regular crew (not the Deck  crew) when we're sailing and sailing is my favorite thing to do.  It is so peaceful to just look out over the open ocean, see sea turtles, flying fish, and dolphins.  It reminds me of the glory and majesty of God's creation.  It is also awesome when we have worship times on the bow.  It's almost like a campfire sing-along (sans campfire and smores).  What I mean is that we're outside gathered together around someone (or a couple folks) playing acoustic guitar signing worship songs.  Sometimes there's also a djembe (African drum) or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment