Monday, September 10, 2012

Locking Shields

Today was one of those days.  You know the kind I mean.  I'll no go into details but suffice it so say that most of it revolves around being offended; either me offending others or them offending me.  It seems like 'taking offense' is spreading like the plague in the first few weeks of this field service and in times like this, when I am reflective and prayerful, it is so easy to see the hand of Satan at work encouraging 'offense' to create division and broken relationships.  A very wise friend shared a few days ago an image he had about all of us, in addition to putting on the Armor of God, needing to lock our shields together and advance as a team to that we all remain protected and the line unbroken.

Really, the things that offended me were not particularly major and allowing myself to be offended was a reflection of my lack of willingness to lay down my 'rights' and die to self.  It really isn't worth the energy to be offended and it certainly isn't worth the harm that it does to relationships. Choosing to be offended weakens the line and leaves others unprotected.

Will those of you who read this and are followers of Jesus please pray with me that the Lord would crush the spirit of offense in the crew of the Africa Mercy, that He would replace it with humility and a willingness to believe the best in others, and that we would live up to the admonition given in Galatians 6:9-10 - "So let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don’t give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith." (The Message).

Pressing On,
Peter

2 comments:

  1. Praying hard for all of you. I remember all too well how satan tries to attack the Crew with divisiveness. Hold up that shield, brother! There will be others alongside you, In Jesus' Name! Love & Miss the Koontz Family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      Sorry for the super late reply. Thanks for your prayers and support. Miss you!

      Delete