Friday, November 12, 2010

The Wealthiest Man on Earth

That's me.  Mr. Rich.  Financially?  Nope.  We're bretty much broke.  But I'm sitting at my desk with Xavier's snot and tears staining the shoulder of my shirt because I was just holding him after he fell down outside.  And it means I'm the richest guy around. 

I was just walking back from checking on things in the kitchen when I saw Xavier running with his class.  He looked at me, squealed with delight, said "Daddy!!!", and then proceeded to catch his toe on the paving stones and fall flat on his face.  And I was there, not at some job site, fire station, or office miles away. 

I live and work in a place where I can hear my kids playing in the courtyard outside.  I get to see my wife and kids every breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I often see them while I'm walking from place to place around campus.  I see them walking back from school.  I see their PE lessons when I walk through the gym on my way to the kitchen.

I have a wife who loves me and treats me better than I deserve.  I serve in a role that I love and in a mission that I'm passionate about.  I am a child of the King of the universe. 

Unfortunately, I sometimes forget how rich I am.  It's far too easy to take things like that for granted after a while.  It's also too easy to focus on the stuff that ticks me off or frustrates me.  Community can be trying.  Finances are bad.  The kids misbehave.  My department isn't where I want it to be.  Well, you get the idea.  I end up in self-pity, feeling self-righteous, and acting self-centered. 

The reality is that I'm blessed beyond measure.  A God who calls me His own, a wife who loves me, amazing kids, a passionate purpose, and the opportunity to experience life in a way few people get to. 

Maybe I should start acting as blessed as I am. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rich man................ twas such a joy to enjoy lunch with y'all and Grace. Best burrito I've had since Puerto Vallarta. You truly are wealthy.... thank you for reminding us all where to keep our priorities! Cheers. Tom and Cindy. Vancouver,BC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we all Peter? Don't we all! (forget how rich we are).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tom - thanks, bro. We had an awesome time. It was such a blessing to be able to spend a bit of time with you again. I love your perspective on life!

    @Tyrone - way too often. Have a few more kids and you can be as rich as I am :) Seriously, though, you're blessed and a blessing. Say 'hi' to Tytus and Stephanie for me.

    ReplyDelete